Linode is absolutely great. Good deal, too.

Their naked installs take some config to get up to speed, at least they did.
Some of the new deploy-script stuff (like Silver Lining type things) might
help you automate that process, or even making your own .deb that is empty
but requires all the stuff you require.

I have three nodes; uptimes are 517 days, 419 days, and 493 days.

Now that I said that, I should probably go reboot them just for Murphy.