FWIW I just cloned and ran cluegun for the first time using "paster serve
development.ini" in a new virtualenv and it ran fine for me. The /manage
view redirected to /login, then admin/admin user/pass took me back to
/manage where I was able to delete pastes.

It does say "Failed login" on the login form if I try to use the wrong
credentials.

Why does Pyramid conclude that the default is deny?!?

In your example the principal is simply Everyone, which doesn't have the
'manage' permission, thus the denial.

Michael