"paster" is a command, not a server.  Depending on the content of
the .ini file used by "paster serve", a type of server is used.  The
default Pyramid .ini file uses the paste.httpserver server (which
despite being named "paste" has really nothing to do with "paster").

See http://nichol.as/benchmark-of-python-web-servers for some
benchmarks.