Thanks Chris, I should have said that I have used the cookbook ('Making A
“User Object” Available as a Request Attribute' was very useful). I just
wanted to encourage further work along those lines.

As an example, I have just been adding database-based authentication. I have
worked it out I think, but I couldn't find specific instructions on how to
do it, or if there is a 'correct' way to do it with SQLAlchemy.

I understand that Pyramid deliberately doesn't specify these things and I
don't expect hand holding - just adding my encouragement from a relative
newbie perspective.