On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 8:17 am, Petr Blahos <petrbla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to install Pylons using easy_install, but the installation
>> > egg does not seem to be available.
>>
>> > bash-4.2$ ./easy_install "Pylons>=1.0"
>> > Searching for Pylons>=1.0
>> > Readinghttp://pypi.python.org/simple/Pylons/
>> > Readinghttp://www.pylonshq.com/
>> > Download error: [Errno 110] Connection timed out -- Some packages may
>> > not be found!
>>
>> Works for me. Can you easy_install anything else? Aren't you behind some evil
>> proxy?
>
> Hmmm, it's working for me, but it's very slow.  Takes
>
> The 1.0 download link is missing from
> http://pylonsproject.org/projects/pylons-framework/download
>
> There's also no 1.0 tag in either the tree on github or bitbucket.
>
> Also, is there really a 1.0.1 around?  See
> http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pylons_framework/dev/upgrading.html#id2

I think it was never released, and then more changes were added. The
repository has no tags for 1.0 or 1.0.1. (I reported the missing 1.0
tag earlier.) The development branch is 1.1.

I'm using 1.0 in production, but it's probably better to use dev for
new applications or if you have time to verify your application runs
under dev. The MarkupSafe patch does better HTML escaping and has C
speedups for it. Mako, Pylons-dev, and Pyramid have all standardized
on the MarkupSafe package. Pylons-dev has been pretty stable for
several years (in terms of performing as well as the released version
if not better), and now with Pyramid, Pylons development has slowed
down significantly (meaning the trunk changes every few months or so).
Also, Ben's household has added some young members so he's not
spending as much time on software development.

You may be getting MarkupSafe anyway via Mako; I'm not sure.I think
you can enable it manually in the TemplateLookup instantiation in
environment.py. Replace the Pylons filter with
``markupsafe.escape_silent``. I think that's what the Pylons-dev patch
does. (Note: Mako's default filter is ``markupsafe.escape``, which
converts ``None`` to "None". Use ``markupsafe.escape_silent`` to
convert ``None`` to "".)

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>