Groovy.

It looks like setting the charset class attribute of a request subclass is
deprecated, yet the documentation advises this
at https://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/1.1/narr/webob.html#unicode

Setting charset as an instance variable on my Request subclass instance
worked though:

class RequestWithUser(Request):
    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
         Request.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
         self.charset = 'utf-8'

And I had to switch to using webhelpers.util.html_escape instead of
webhelpers.html.escape.

-- Jason