I'm PERSONALLY not a fan of traversal , or of having that super REST
oriented stuff. For short projects, like an ad campaign or prototyping
a demo, i think its fine.  For long term stuff, ajax functionality and
requirements change.. so I prefer to just support a versioned API and
consolidate everything into that section.  It's purely a personal
decision though.

That tutorial is great - i wish i had seen it earlier too, would have
made the transition from Pylons to Pyramid a bit easier.