fwiw: when I started using pyramid I was also reluctant to pass around
the request all the time. But it turned out to be the right (and
transparent) thing to do. In my case this is because I often need
request-specific information like the locale name basically
everywhere. Once you get used to this (and to creating DummyRequests
all the time for tests), you will come to like the registry as the
place to go for global settings.
regards
robert