Just wanted to add to this discussion , for potential things to
address in the docs:

The security authorization/authentication stuff is a bit intense.

At first glance, it looks and reads very much like an "enterprise
software" type of system, with a lot of overhead.  If I were building
a CMS or a financial / health insurance company - this looks to be on
par with ( if not better than ) most of the huge commercial java
projects out there.

If I were building a dumb social webapp, this is a lot of overkill.

I don't think "dumbing down" is the right approach , but the areas I
see that could be useful are:

1. A nice paragraph or two giving an overview of the scope / style of
Security that is offered , and why you might want to use it. ( even
the first bit of
http://readthedocs.org/docs/pyramid/en/1.0-branch/narr/security.html
is too intense for this ).

2. Recommendations for implementing security with concern for the
constant questions on optimization that come up -- things like caching
and database access

3. A note that says "This might be overkill for your application.  If
so, here are some techniques that are very lightweight - and while
relatively 'insecure', they might be secure enough for your needs".