You can create an 'h' helper object as described
here-->
http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid_cookbook/en/latest/templates/templates.html#using-a-before-render-event-to-expose-an-h-helper-object

or just have a subscribers.py file with:

@subscriber(BeforeRender)
def template_globals(event):
    request = event['request']  ## this is how you access the request
object in this function

    from datetime import datetime
    event.update({'someglobalvar': 'this is my global value',
                                  'thedate': datetime.now})

    return ##no need to return anything

Then you can just do ${thedate()} in any of your templates.
-Raj