You are right. There are ways to customize the HTML generated by
deform - and I'm using all the mechanisms you enumerated and quite
like it. But there certainly are things that are hard to achieve. E.g.
if you don't like the approach of pretty much all form items being
generated as li elements within ul containers you'd have to replace
quite a few templates, or if you want some controls being rendered
side by side, others below each other, or if you want custom sequence
widgets. But possibly these things are hard with other form libraries
as well.