I'm migrating an old Pylons app to 1.0 ( eventually to Pyramid )

I've never migrated from .9.7 to 1.x before.  I've used 1.x, but this
migration is confusing me a bit.

I've run into a few issues I'm hoping someone before me found/solved :

1. I had a lot of misc functions access the pylons.config variable .  i've
migrated most to use the explicit pass-around, but I haven't been able to
do that to all of them.  are there any good ways to access it when:

    a - in a request
    b - not in a request ( ie, class definition )

2. Pages don't render on 0.1.0  TypeError: No object (name: buffet) has
been registered for this thread

 Module beaker.cache:65 in get         view
>>  return self._get_value(key, **kw).get_value()
Module beaker.container:263 in get_value         view
>>  v = self.createfunc()
Module myapp.controllers.splash:33 in _index         view
>>  return render('/splash.mako')
Module pylons.templating:662 in render         view
>>  return pylons.buffet.render(template_name=template, fragment=fragment,
Module paste.registry:137 in __getattr__         view
>>  return getattr(self._current_obj(), attr)
Module pylons.legacy:166 in _current_obj         view
>>  return StackedObjectProxy._current_obj(self, *args, **kwargs)
Module paste.registry:194 in _current_obj         view
>>  'thread' % self.____name__)
TypeError: No object (name: buffet) has been registered for this thread

3. before i tried to migrate things under 0.1.0, i ran it under 1.0 -- and
i got a bunch of errors about "from pylons import c" not being valid
anymore.  is this expected?