what version of of pylons are you using ?

there are some yet-to-be documented compatibility issues with newer
versions of WebHelpers and other external libraries against the 1.0.1
branch.

I'm not sure what the 'max supported version' is, but i would suggest
dropping down to the lowest specified in the install_requires.  i think
that is 1.1.1

the problem you're seeing is that WebHelpers changed a lot since Pylons was
last released.  I've had many other issues come up as well with the 1.2x or
higher branches.  i strongly suggest you drop down.

there's some info in this thread
-
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/pylons-discuss/J8Azw0yGISU
- and a few others.