this is weird.  Python 2.7.5 , OSX

i changed your view to read:

    print "[%s] new request" % id(request)
    print "[%s] threading.active_count: %s" % ( id(request) ,
threading.active_count() )

I always got "1"

When I added either of this lines, the number increased:

    print "[%s] threading.current_thread: %s" % ( id(request) ,
str(threading.current_thread() ) )

If I used this line, it would ONLY show all threads if i called
str(current_thread).  if i didn't, it only showed the main thread ( and
active_count did not increase )

    print "[%s] threading.enumerate: %s" % ( id(request) ,
list(threading.enumerate()) )