I remember WebOb and WebHelpers each having a lot of changes and backward
incompatibilities.  Some of the things that have caused pain for me, were
changes to the MultiDict object and character encodings.

Looking at the changelog...
 ( https://github.com/Pylons/webob/blob/master/docs/news.txt )... maybe
it's from one of these 2 changes :

1.2a2

* To process requests that come in an encoding different from UTF-8, the request
  needs to be transcoded like this: ``req = req.decode('windows-1251')``

1.2a1

* Remove UnicodeMultiDict class; the result of ``Request.GET`` and
  ``Request.POST`` is now just a plain ``MultiDict``