1. Depending on your database/infrastructure, I don't think the sqlalchemy
url necessarily needs to be protected. Someone would need to gain console
access to one of our servers in order to connect with our DBs, and at that
point... security concerns like that are a lost cause.

2. Third-Party APIs and any application passwords definitely do need to be
protected.

We've tried a few approaches, and ended up with dynamically building out
the production.ini and other 'sensitive' files as part of the deployment
process.  the values are locally stored in encrypted files, and they're
decrypted and templated with Fabric on deployment.

Originally we used the environment variables approach.  I would prefer it
-- I do think it's safer.  The problem is that we switched from direct
UWSGI to one managed by supervisord -- and that just complicated getting
environments set up correctly.  Too many things going on.   It's not
impossible, it just couldn't get done in the research hours I allocated to
it; and the fallback is simple.  Hopefully I can revisit it.

Of the options listed above, I like Ansible the most.  Fabric is
considerably more limited, but very simple to use.