On 04/23/2014 04:17 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Chris Rossi wrote:

    "sudo apt-get install redis-server" is pretty easy.  Then you have a
    service on localhost listening to the default port, there's pretty
    much zero configuration required.

It's a breeze to run and manage for sure; especially on Production linux
machines.

It's added overhead when managing our staging machines (which actually
do have redis already installed, but tuned for other systems.).  For
local development on macs, it's on most machines -- but we don't want to
rely on it when onboarding new devs, setting up new machines, working
with contractors, etc.  There's just too much setup and room for error
with so many moving parts -- especially when we have people who work on
the front-end stuff only.  We had to draw a line in the sand somewhere ,
and requiring redis on machines was just too much.  not everyone is a
full-stack developer (or wants to be one); requiring too many
server-side apps and general know-how limits the pool of resources we
can bring in.

<cough> buildout.

Seriously, you can't beat it for supplying new hires and customers with a single command that can both install and update an environment. It can install Python packages, but it can also install "CMMI" (configure/make/make install) packages and run command line scripts and so on. I couldn't imagine running a consulting project without it. Well, actually, I could, because I've been on consulting projects that refuse to use it, and they are always horrible.

- C