On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com> wrote:

> The presumption that there is a session.id variable won't solve this
> particular problem, as Bert and Mike have already said.  But as a separate
> problem, it could be "solved" if we mandated that a session id be made
> available in a common way in the cookie that represents the session token
> across all implementations.  This is a big ask, though, if only because it
> means that folks who don't actually want to expose the raw session id could
> not create an interface-compliant implementation. In my experience, it also
> generally makes systems less flexible when you begin to tell potential
> implementers how they must do things rather than only telling them what
> they must do.

We also shouldn't forget that sessions do not require a cookie, even if
that's the primary way of tracking them across requests. For Pyramid to
dictate how a session must be tracked would be a huge loss in the
flexibility of the API. Currently the factory has access to the entire
request to decide where the session id is at, allowing implementers to do
what they need to do to find the tracker from a cookie or a query string or
some higher-level mechanism.