You want to be careful when using Server Side Events (SSE) they are not a
very good alternative to WebSockets or Comet if you are expecting to build
a service for an unknown user base.  SSE is not supported in even the
latest Internet Explorer browsers and if you can't guarantee your users
wont have IE then using something like sockjs or socket.io would be a
better alternative since they support multiple transports so that they will
work in all browsers.