On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Marc Rijken <m...@rijken.org> wrote:

> I have made an integration of bowerstatic in Pyramid:
> https://github.com/mrijken/pyramid_bowerstatic
>
> It is not released yet, because it will need some testing first.
>
> Marc

Bower is a package manager, not as asset pipeline (bundler) system. In my
experience getting the static assets that are required for my development
and serving them isn't the important part. I don't see many people actually
serving static assets from their WSGI application outside of development,
at a minimum we use something like nginx to serve them and majority of the
time we have them deployed to a CDN like fastly or akamai instead.

The important part of tools like webassets is that they can take a related
list of assets (backbone, underscore, and zepto for example) and in develop
serve them statically but for prod/deployment collect those static assets,
minify them into a single file, and push them up to a CDN and generate the
URL for the CDN.

As an example, if I declare the following bundle in my code:

Bundle(
  'js/zepto.js',
  'js/underscore.js',
  'js/backbone.js'
)

in development I want to see 3 static assets declare:

<script src="/static/js/zepto.js">
<script src="/static/js/underscore.js">
<script src="/static/js/backbone.js">

but when I'm deploying to production I want to say "collect my static
assets and minify them" so that I can copy them up to my CDN, and then I
expect a single URL in production:

<script src="http://fastly.com/sontek/static/compiled_bundle.js";>

My WSGI application will not have access to a javascript minifier or css
minifier and it wont be serving any static assets itself.

Do you have a flow that solves this using bower + grunt, or are you
shipping to production having your application server also serve up your
static assets?

- John