I forgot to mention I was using Windows, so, good guess. ;)

Anyway, this post inspired me to dig deeper and sprinkle some logging in
there liberally. And I've found the change: at one point, I catch
pymongo.errors.ConnectionFailure and raise
pyramid.httpexceptions.HTTPInternalServerError in its place. In the past, I
remember this still giving me a full traceback in development mode - not
on-screen, where it shows a plain 500 page, but in the debug toolbar. Now
it does not.

I can't see any indication in the changelog of this behaviour having
changed though. Am I misremembering how it used to work? Is there any worth
in explicitly throwing server errors like this if there is no logging that
goes along with it?