I'm not arguing that this is the best way, but as a data point, here's what
I do.

I use buildout to generate app.ini, as well as other config files,
including for uwsgi and supervisord, from templates (using
collective.recipe.template.)  I have several top-level buildout config
files, all of which specialize a common basic configuration: one for
deployment, one for staging, one for development.  All of the twiddly bits
(API keys, paths, logging config, etc.) are in one place (the top-level
buildout config file), and it is quite flexible (e.g. uwsgi for deployment,
pserve for development.)