On 11/18/15 at 9:10 PM, sluggos...@gmail.com (Mike Orr) pronounced:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Steve Piercy
<steve.piercy....@gmail.com> wrote:
Pylons Project Happy Hour

The Pylons Project Happy Hour is a time to reconnect with good old friends
and make new ones on a regular basis.  Raise a glass of your favorite adult
beverage, and hang out in a live web conference room with kindred souls who
participate in the Pylons Project.

The first PPHH will be held online using Jitsi Meet:
Thursday, November 19, 2015, 20:00:00 - 21:00:00 UTC
https://meet.jitsi.org/PylonsProject

I went to the site; it looks like some kind of videoconference. Is
there a way to participate without installing a camera and microphone
and packages? Why does it need OS packages if it's a web application,
or are they two different modes? We've always met before via IRC; so
I'd prefer something like that. Anyway, if I don't make it, hi to you
all. I didn't to PyCon in Montreal but I'm planning to go next year in
Portland.

The most amusing part; it says, "This application is currently only
supported by Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Firefox", but it doesn't
recognize that Firefox is Firefox. I suppose it requires a newer
version, but it could say "Firefox X.XX'. I did get it working in
Chrome though; or at least it shows a circle with a pink triangle in
it so I assume it's working.

It sounds like you figured it out.

Jitsi Meet should "just work" in a browser that supports webrtc:
http://caniuse.com/#search=webrtc

Or a Jitsi Meet client can be installed on a few systems.
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/quick-install.md

Audio and video are optional. Camera and microphone can be disabled and are not required. There is also chat, doc sharing, and Prezi sharing.

More information about Jitsi Meet is available here.
https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiMeet

Thanks for testing it out.

I already bought my early bird ticket for PyCon 2016 in Portland, and saw that there were 260 left this morning.

--steve