Just for another perspective... I use a `fabric` file (as part of
deployment) to dynamically build these types of files.

I also use `supervisord` for process management.

The fabric command will simply use the 'main config file' , which is a
python file filled with string and dicts, to build the various config files
on-the-fly for the given os/environment.  so basically one file in git has
everything... and that it used to build out config/env files for each
process.

the benefit of that is that as you have more and more processes, you start
to get slight differences in what config options they want to see and
where.  this approach lets you just provide the smallest amount of vars
into each process and the supervisor.