If the package has code in its `__init__.py` then it is no longer a real
namespace package and I think you've been getting "lucky" for this long
probably due to the order in which the packages were installed. A namespace
package is a grouping of submodules/subpackages, but the top-level module
in the package should always be empty and / or identical to the module in
every separately-distributed copy of that file. Normally this means the
file would just include a namespace declaration required to make setuptools
work, although in py3 you can apparently get rid of the file entirely
(meaning you shouldn't assume you can put code in there).