On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 12:28:33 AM UTC-4, Mike Orr wrote:

> Do you think CSRF tokens are that important? In some cases you really
> don't want people submitting anything without going through the form,
> but in other cases it doesn't really matter, and in other cases you
> *want* them to be able to submit inter-application search requests
> from their own programs. I've talked with some people about this and
> what I've heard is that if you have HTTPS then that takes care of some
> of the things CSRF tokens were invented for. We just did an evaluation
> of one application and decided that the only form that needs CSRF
> tokens is the login form.

HTTPS doesn't prevent CSRF -- you can still exploit HTTPS endpoints with
CSRF attacks.  HTTPS secures communication between the browser and the
server, but a CSRF attack happens within the browser.

I typically spec out applications like this:

* Everything in `/account` is via HTTPS with a secondary HTTPS-only session
(that has a different timeout the default session), and login-status
requires a recent user/pass entry (no autologin). All forms implement CSRF.

* Everything not in `/account` can be https or not (though https is
preferred).  CSRF is usually irrelevant for these actions.

This does a lot to safeguard against sensitive/personally identifiable data
being accessed or manipulated by malicious 3rd parties.