On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 2:04:20 PM UTC-4, Bert JW Regeer wrote:

> Recently some changes were made to remove any last references to `key`, so
> that things would error if you did try to use it, but those are on master
> only and have not been back ported to 1.8-branch (yet, I may still do that.
> I forgot to do it this go-around).

Ah I thought that was in this release, sorry.  I was the one who found that
issue in the docs code.  The point I wanted to get across with the above,
is that if you're (erroneously) using `key` now, your code is already
broken because it's been accepting that kwarg that has does nothing for
years, without raising an exception.