Sorry, no , after deleting __pycache__ and reinstalling app using pip
install -e .
it worked with Python 3.5 but not with python 3.8.

p = os.fspath(p)
TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not NoneType

Probably not important since recreating __init__.py fixes the problem
but apparently something has changed since Python 3.6.