>From the release notes:

https://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/changes.html#backward-incompatibilities

pyramid.config.Configurator.scan will no longer, by default, execute Venusian
decorator callbacks registered for categories other than 'pyramid'. To find any
decorator regardless of category, specify config.scan(..., categories=None).
See https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/pull/3510

That PR in turn fixed:

https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/issues/3502

Which in turn referenced:

https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/issues/495

I don't know if that answers your question, but please feel free to elaborate
if it does not.  Thank you!

--steve