I think it's worth noting that zope.sqlalchemy's session registration
supports a "readonly" initial state, similar to active and changed that
we've all harped on in the past. I'd probably just look into using that and
sticking with existing patterns. If you go all-in on readonly as a pattern
I think it could be a lot simpler but hey, this lets you use the existing
pattern.

--

Michael