On Oct 15, 2009, at 9:42, Bill Janssen <jans...@parc.com> wrote:

Felix Schwarz <felix.schw...@web.de> wrote:

Am 15.10.2009 07:01, schrieb Andi Vajda:
If distutils or the new fork grows the ability to build a regular shared
library, I'd be less wedded to setuptools.

Maybe you want to contact the distribute guys which is a setuptools
fork. I know that some Linux distributions are using distribute
already as a drop-in replacement for setuptools (Fedora Linux will
switch to distribute for F13 very likely).

This seems to me to simply be going further down the wrong path that
setuptools initiated.  The right thing to do (purely IMO) is to fix
distutils to add the functionality needed.

There lies the rub. Why isn't that happening, though ?

Andi..

Bill