On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Thomas Koch wrote:

But I understand now that as long as you remove deprecated code from 2.9 it
*should* work with 2.9 and 3.0 as well! Right?

Correct.

e.g.
<method>Hits search(Query query)
  Is now deprecated as
"Hits will be removed in Lucene 3.0"

2.9 already supports
<method>TopDocs search(Query, Filter, int)
Which one should use instead.

The problem here is that - as far as I understand - you can make it work
with 2.9 and 3.0 - but then you loose backward compatibility with any 2.x
version before 2.9.... The point is that you may then end up forcing your
users (admins) to install a newer version of PyLucene - which people may not
want to do...

It's all about trade-offs. If your application runs on 2.x and you don't want to reinstall, don't upgrade. If you have found bugs that are fixed in 3.x or want to take advantage of new features or improvements, upgrade.

Andi..