On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

Andi, do you want me to use -fdollars-in-identifiers for jcc on armel,
or do you want to take out the $ symbol?

Since '$' is used in Java class names (from C/++ with inner classes, for example), I've kept it and used it myself as well. So far, it's only been a problem on Solaris with the Sun Studio compiler which has a flag, -features=iddollar, to allow these in variable names. Neither GCC nor MSVC (on Windows) have complained about this.

So far, GCC has not given any problems with $ in identifiers. If GCC on ARM is picky about $ but has a flag to allow them, I'd suggest using that flag.
It would be a bit of work to stop using $ in identifiers in JCC.

But, is there a sane Java on ARM anyway ? All GCJ 4.x I tried have not been sane for PyLucene on any of the OSs I tried them (various Linuxes, Mac OS X, Windows).

In general the autobuilders have been doing very well with jcc

http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=jcc

Excellent !

Andi..