> programs.  So I am in search of a solution.  Can one manually create a
> secondary structure assignment matrix to insert into the PDB file?  I must
> admit that as a novice I do not understand the formatting of the secondary
> structure matrices that I have seen embedded  in some PDB files.  Is there a
> resource somewhere that explains the formatting of such a matrix?

I've been fiddling with this for my own work; I wrote a parser in Perl to
embed structural annotation in a PDB file based on output from DSSP,
STRIDE, or RasMol.  Unfortunately it doesn't handle multiple chains yet,
but I'm working on making it more general.  I suppose since I only use
this for loading files into PyMOL, I could just write it in Python as a
PyMOL module. . . would that be useful to anyone else?

The complete PDB specification for SS annotation is here:
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/docs/format/pdbguide2.2/part_42.html
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/docs/format/pdbguide2.2/part_44.html
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/docs/format/pdbguide2.2/part_45.html

However, PyMOL's built-in commands end up being much easier to use... I
wish I'd realized that before I wrote my parser.

> Alternatively, is there a manual series of Pymol commands to directly assign
> secondary structure for a protein for insertion into the .pml script file?

alter atom_selection, ss='L' (or 'H' or 'S', I think)

> Even better, is there a separate program that can assign secondary structure
> and then allow you to save the revised PDB file with the secondary structure
> assignments inserted into the PDB output.  I would be willing to accept any

If there is, I'd like to know too!

-Nat Echols
Gerstein Lab
Yale University