Hi:

I've noticed that the performance of pymol on my laptop after an OS X upgrade to 10.2 (and corresponding pymol 0.84 upgrade) was much worse. Although I think 10.2.1 is definitely slower and more buggy than 10.1.5, I tracked down the main culprit: A $7 piece of shareware called Fruit Menu. (It lets you put whatever you want in the upper-left corner blue apple pulldown, much like OS 9 favorites). I disabled something called an Application Enhancer that gets installed with Fruit Menu by moving it from its original Library folder location to a new one, logged out and back in again. (This temporarily disables fruit menu, but it is a small price to pay). When I then log back in again, pymol is significantly speedier (although I still think it worked better under 10.1.5.)

This is much more of a problem on my 500MHz iBook, which is what I use with pymol for oral presentations, than it is with faster machines. I am suspicious that this problem actually doesn't arise on dual processor machines.

I've also noticed that this same Application Enhancer thing screws up OroborOSX, my X-windows manager. A similar cure works.

Anyway I thought I would pass this along in case anyone is having problems like this on 10.2.x with pymol. If anyone has a better workaround, I'd like to know ...

All the best,

Bill Scott