Hi,

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:11:12PM -0800, Warren L. DeLano wrote:
> Mac, Linux, and Windows will remain the primary PyMOL platforms, but I
> welcome your feedback on the following question:  How important is it
> that PyMOL run well (be tested and released for use) under traditional
> Unix operating systems?  Such as:
>
>    1) IRIX (6.5.x)
>    2) Solaris (7, 8, or 9)
>    3) Tru64 Unix (for the Alpha)
>    4) and any other Unix platforms (AIX?)
>
> While PyMOL sponsorship will likely provide enough funding to cover
> inexpensive Mac and PC hardware, Unix workstations are simply not
> affordable for us, given our limited means.  It is not just the cost of
> the hardware (which can sometimes be found cheap), but those darn
> compiler licenses and hardware support expenses which really get us!

AFAIK gcc is available for most if not all those Unices, too, isn't it?

Well, a quick google search seems to say yes.

And as long as you program POSIX/cross-platform, there should not be a
big problem. Perhaps using auto{conf,make} might help a bit, dunno.

Pymol at least *compiles* under a vast amount of processor
architectures, if only under Linux:

http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=&pkg=pymol

Nothing wrong with testing your code on as much platforms as possible of
course :)

cheers,

Michael