Florian,

The main trick is to use an X11/Fink build of PyMOL.  Under 10.3, I'm
hoping OpenGL performance under X11 will be more that of the native
version -- any early returns on this yet?

For proficient developers with X11 installed, there another trick you
can try:  Link source-built PyMOL against native GLUT/OpenGL frameworks
while simultaneously linking against X11-based Python/Tkinter/Tcl/Tk.
This is what I call the "hybrid" build, which gives native-like OpenGL
performance and X11-like user interface compatibility.  Stability was a
problem with this config though, which is why I've never tried to
distribute such a build.

Finally, there is a native Tcl/Tk Aqua port which doesn't require X11,
and which in theory at least would enable a native-like GUI without
having to write Aqua code directly.  However I've heard that there are
stability problems with this Tcl/Tk, and I'm not sure Python's Tkinter
can even work with it.  Does anyone out there have experience using
Tkinter on OSX without X11?

mailto:war...@delanoscientific.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist