Warren -

Just up front I want to state that I don't think DSSP is the best possible
way to algorithmically determine secondary structure.  My position is that
secondary structure is a subjective assignment anyway - so it will always be
open to interpretation.  In that case, you are better off assigning to the
standard this is in most common usage.

Great example of where DSSP fails, but perhaps a bit contrived.

First of all, DSSP is assigning this as a "H" helix and "G" 3-10 helix - not
really a single continuous helix (although one could interpret it this way).
Second, you point about it not really being a 3-10 helix is not strong..

3-10 helix (-49/-26).  (ideal)
residue 101 (-63/-12)

+/- 15 degrees is pretty difficult to see - so I think that DSSPs assignment
in this case, while liberal, is certainly acceptable.

Finally the difference between a 3 residue "helix" and a reverse turn is not
really easy to quantitate.  In fact, any single turn of any helix is
basically, well, a turn.  Any algorithm that "allows" 3-4 residue helices is
going to make such assignments, and in fact any realistic (human)
interpretation is going to make the equivalence of short "helices" with
turns.

Your last point in the URL is critical.  There will presumably be "errors"
in dss, or stride, or any other algorithm, because frankly, the problem is
not very well defined.  Hence, it's probably best to just implement
something, and leave the interpretation to the user.  The reason that
consistency is of paramount importance in assigning secondary structure is
so that different scientists can talk about the same protein in context.  If
everyone uses the same definition of secondary structure - "helix 1" is
always "helix 1".

Ben

--
Ben Hitz                                    Exelixis
Computational Biology and Informatics