Hi Nat:

I am really impressed with Zac's driver and extension, and I probably should get a multi-button trackball. For now, the simplicity (or limitation) of the dial (turn right, turn left, press-while-turning right/left, short click, long click) can be augmented to give some flexibility. For example, you can program a click of the dial to toggle (via a key, in this example F5) to go through various dialsets:

 def toggle_dial(): \
     if dialset == 1 : \
         print "Changing to y" \
         dialy() \
     elif dialset == 2 : \
         print "Changing to z" \
         dialz() \
     elif dialset == 3 : \
         print "Changing to x" \
         dialx() \
     else: print "Dial assignment isn't working"

 cmd.set_key ('F5', toggle_dial)

You can see how I defined the functions dialx(), dialy(), dialz() and so on here:

http://www.chemistry.ucsc.edu/%7Ewgscott/xtal/powermate_pymol_osx.html

Doubtless anyone with programming aptitude could improve this drastically.

I am guessing that this is platform-independent.

As a side note I like the dial because it takes up little desk space, and substituting it for the scroll wheel makes my hand hurt less.

Say "hi" to the hate-man for me,

Bill