Sorry, I responded off the list last time the the question. You have to
render two pictures:

1. one with slabbing you want for the surface (include the ligand)
2. one with slabbing you want (change clipping planes only) for the ligand
(disable the surface for this)

In photoshop (or equivalent), select the ligand for picture #2, copy it and
paste it into picture #1.

You will probably want to disable shadows for the ray tracing.

Ken