Hi Roger,

* Roger Dodd <rb...@cam.ac.uk> [2004-10-07 16:33] wrote:

> I am trying to prepare a figure illustrating a fairly complex packing
> arrangement in a large H32 (R32) unit cell, where the packing may
> actually have some biological relevance. To try and show the packing
> I've been generating symmetry related molecules using the symexp
> command. The problem I've been running into is that things become too
> complex and cluttered, whether I use lines, ribbons, cartoons, etc. My
> asymmetric unit contains 2 homo-pentamers and my question is - would it
> be possible to replace each monomer with, for example, an ellipsoid of
> roughly the same size centred on the subunit's centre of mass to
> simplify things? Is this the sort of thing that could be done with a cgo
> object? Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You could set solvent_radius to some large number, like 5 or 10
and show the molecules' surface.  The main problem is that there tend
to be holes in the surface unless you set the surface_quality up to 1,
in which case it can take quite a bit longer to draw.  A CGO ellipsoid
might be your best bet, but I'm not sure if there is a CGO ellipsoid.

An approximation to the ellipsoid could be the "SAUSAGE" instead:

from pymol.cgo import *
from pymol import cmd

# simple example

obj2 = [
  SAUSAGE, 0., 0., 0., 10., 0., 0., 4.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.,
  SAUSAGE, 0., 0., 0., 0., 15., 0., 4.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0., 0.5, 0.,
  SAUSAGE, 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 20., 4.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0., 0.0, 0.5,
  ]
cmd.load_cgo(obj2,'cyl')

You would need to come up with appropriate starting and ending vertices
(the first 6 numbers in each line) and the radius (the 7th number).  The
last 6 numbers are the starting and ending rgb colour values.

I guess whether this could work would depend on how close your monomer
could be approximated by a sausage. :)

Cheers,
Rob
--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.                         <r...@post.queensu.ca>
Senior Research Associate                            phone: 613-533-6821