Dear Mr. Lerner,

Thanks for letting me know about the PDB2PQR server. I was able to generate a pqr from the NBCR website that then works with APBS to generate the dx map.

I'm not sure how to get the same electrostatic gradient effect on the molecule surface generated using APBS tools using the isosurface command. I really like the potential mapping to molecular surface visual and it would be nice if it could be done with more than one molecule (from separate pdb files). I guess I can just render one molecule at a time and then crop multiple images into a single document so it looks like one system.

Thank you very much,
Sabuj Pattanayek

Michael George Lerner wrote:

Hi,

I've been meaning to update APBS tools so that some of the warnings are larger and better explained.

WARNING: 53 atoms did not have properties assigned

means that PyMOL couldn't automatically assign properties for 53 atoms in yoru molecule. This is usually because you have non-standard protein residues (or because you're not using a protein at all). In this case, you'll need to teach PyMOL about your molecule (via chempy .. it's a little involved. I think Warren posted something about it recently) or use another program to generate the PQR file.

If you can get a good PQR file from another source (e.g. there's an APBS web portal at https://gridport.npaci.edu/apbs/ that probably understands more molecules than PyMOL), then you can use APBS tools directly with that PQR file.

For your second question, you'll have to have to make the surfaces yourself, as the APBS Plugin only supports one molecule/map at a time right now. Have you looked at the help information for isosurface? You may also have to create two different dx maps and load them in by hand so that they have different names. You can use the 'Configuration' pane of the APBS plugin to make sure that they get reasonable names when you create them (then you just use PyMOL's load command to load them).

Is that enough to get you started?

-michael

--
This isn't a democracy;|                        _  |Michael Lerner
 it's a cheer-ocracy.  | ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |   Michigan