Maybe I'm understanding the question wrong, but here is a solution for getting a list of all atom-atom distances between a ligand and a protein. Just change the pdb id, and the definitions of the protein and ligand to your case. A list of these distances will then be in the dist_list object, which you can do anything you want with. In the example I simply printed them out.

To run example below (if saved as distlist.py) from pymol:
run distlist.py

~ Dan

---
Dan Kulp
Biophysics Graduate Student @ UPenn
dwk...@mail.med.upenn.edu
http://dwkulp.homelinux.net/tiki/tiki-index.php
---

import cmd

cmd.load("1O2K.pdb")

cmd.select("protein","not resn 656 and not resn HOH")
cmd.select("ligand", "resn 656")

dist_list = {}
pro_atoms = cmd.get_model("protein")
lig_atoms = cmd.get_model("ligand")

for l_at in lig_atoms.atom:
   for p_at in pro_atoms.atom:
dist_list[str(l_at.resi)+":"+l_at.name+";"+str(p_at.resi)+":"+p_at.name] = cmd.dist("foo", "index "+str(l_at.index),"index "+str(p_at.index))
       cmd.delete("foo")

print "LIST OF ATOM-ATOM PROTEIN-LIGAND DISTANCES"
for d in dist_list.keys():
   print "Distance of "+d+" is "+str(dist_list[d])

Warren DeLano wrote:

Stephanie,

This is a very reasonable request, but unfortunately it is not one that
PyMOL can meet at present --  it will require some significant changes
within the C code for the "distance" command.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D. Principal Scientist

. DeLano Scientific LLC . 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213 . South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA . Biz:(650)-872-0942 Tech:(650)-872-0834 . Fax:(650)-872-0273 Cell:(650)-346-1154 . mailto:war...@delsci.com