nvidia 7167 & 7174 drivers seem to have issues (see previous e-mails in
this list)
VMD is also affected, but not many other openGL programs.  (i can run
SPECperf just fine)

The issue you see here may be related to some other non-pymol issues i've
seen on my machine.
my vendor said my other issues may be caused by the nvidia driver
overwriting some kernel space.

when/if i can, i'll e-mail the solution.

MK