Daniel

> rms = cmd.rms (selection1, selection2)

will fail outright because "rms" is a PyMOL keyword.  PyMOL only passes
input off to Python if it doesn't see a keyword following by a space as
the first word of the input line.  Eliminating that first space, using a
different variable name, or adding a preceeding forward slash will all
work:

# invalid, since rms is a keyword:
rms = cmd.rms (selection1, selection2)

# valid, since preceeding slash sends remainder of text straight to
Python
/rms = cmd.rms (selection1, selection2)

# valid, since "rms=" is not a keyword
rms= cmd.rms (selection1, selection2)

# valid, since "my_rms" is not a keyword
my_rms = cmd.rms (selection1, selection2)

Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist

. DeLano Scientific LLC
. 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
. South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
. Biz:(650)-872-0942  Tech:(650)-872-0834
. Fax:(650)-872-0273  Cell:(650)-346-1154
. mailto:war...@delsci.com