Hi Xtallographers, Oers and Pymolers,

In late January, Warren wrote: "The Quadro FX 3000 is the fastest card I've ever seen PyMOL run on". Well since then half a year is gone. So, would any of you had a chance to compare the FX 1400, FX 3400 and FX 4400 performances for stereo under Linux, I mean for the usual stereo programs we're using like O, Pymol or Turbo ?

From several tests I read it seems there is no serious gap between them at least when compared for various engineering software (Rightmark, 3D studio Max, AutoCAD, CATIA, Ensight, Maya, Patchwork 3D and SolidWorks). As for their price there are some huge gaps on the other hand...

Which of those 3 Quadro would you recommend in terms of performance/price ratio for molecular graphics ?

In his email, Warren also recommended the NEC-Mitsubishi FP2141SB-BK 22" CRT. What do you Folks think about this monitor if you do use it ? What do you think about the Iiyama HM204 DT DiamondTron 22" CRT ? Any other good monitor for stereo around that you would recommended ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Philippe

Philippe BENAS, Ph.D.
X-ray diffraction facility manager
Laboratoire de Cristallographie et RMN Biologiques, UMR 8015 CNRS
Faculte de Pharmacie - Universite Paris 5
4, Avenue de l'Observatoire - Case 48
F-75270 Paris cedex 06
---
Office: +33.(0)1-5373-9831 (use ext. 9977 instead to leave a voice mail)
Fax: +33.(0)1-5373-9925
X-ray Room (rotating anode): +33.(0)1-5373-9977
X-ray Room (small molecules): +33.(0)1-5373-9679
---