I'm trying to install pymol on a MacBook Pro (intel). I've tried three
approaches and hit problems on each of them. After several hours of effort
I thought I'd ask here.  Details below. I'd be happy to be able to build in
any way, I guess the problem in Method 1 is probably the easiest to solve.

Thanks for any help...

Regards,
Terry

Method 1.
---------

In the most straightforward effort, I download pymol-0_99rc6-src.tgz and run

   python setup.py install
   python setup2.py install
   ./pymol

as instructed. The first two commands run fine. The ./pymol gets me

  Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)

I have 2 versions of python on my machine. I've tried the above using both
the Darwin ports 2.4 version of python (under /opt) and the system 2.3
version. Both give the same error. It's the "import pymol" line in
__init__.py that's causing the fatal error. I also get this error with an
empty PYTHONPATH. The "pymol" file looks fine in both cases: it runs the
correct python with the correct path to the __init__.py file.

As far as I know the error indicates a problem with conflicting Python
frameworks. But I don't know how to fix it. I thought running the system
python (in both invocations of python setup{,2}.py install) would work, but
it does not. It's not an option for me to uninstall python 2.4.

Method 2.
---------

I also downloaded pymol-0_99rc6-bin-macosx-x86-x11.tgz. When I follow the
instructions there, I get

    $ ./pymol
    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.1.dylib
      Referenced from:
/Users/terry/s/net/pymol-0_99rc6-bin-macosx-x86-x11/pymol.exe
      Reason: image not found
    ./pymol: line 18: 13684 Trace/BPT trap          $PYMOL_PATH/pymol.exe "$@"

and indeed /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.1.dylib does not exist. I do have all of

    libGLU.1.3.dylib
    libGLU.1.dylib -> libGLU.1.3.dylib
    libGLU.dylib -> libGLU.1.3.dylib

in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib but I was unable to get
these to link (either by putting them into /usr/X11R6/lib, by symlinking to
them, or by setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH). The loader finds the libraries but
says:

    $ ./pymol
    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.1.dylib
      Referenced from:
/Users/terry/s/net/pymol-0_99rc6-bin-macosx-x86-x11/pymol.exe
      Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
            /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.1.dylib: can't
map
    ./pymol: line 18: 13765 Trace/BPT trap          $PYMOL_PATH/pymol.exe "$@"

Method 3:
---------

I tried to build completely from source (something I've done before). When
building the ext packages, build.com fails building freeglut:

    gcc -g -O2 -o CallbackMaker CallbackMaker-CallbackMaker.o
../../../src/.libs/libglut.a -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU -lXext -lX11
-lXxf86vm
    /usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _glPointParameteri

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib(gll_api.o)
 definition of _glPointParameteri
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib(dri_dispatch.o) definition of _glPointParameteri
    /usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _glPointParameteriv

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib(gll_api.o)
 definition of _glPointParameteriv
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib(dri_dispatch.o) definition of _glPointParameteriv
    /usr/bin/ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may
result in errors or different symbols being used
    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
    _glutBitmapHelvetica12
    _glutBitmap8By13
    _glutBitmap9By15
    _glutBitmapHelvetica10
    _glutBitmapHelvetica18
    _glutBitmapTimesRoman10
    _glutBitmapTimesRoman24
    _glutStrokeMonoRoman
    _glutStrokeRoman
    symbol _glPointParameteri used from dynamic library
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib(gll_api.o)
 not from earlier dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib(dri_dispatch.o)
    symbol _glPointParameteriv used from dynamic library
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib(gll_api.o)
 not from earlier dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib(dri_dispatch.o)
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status