Hi Gilleain and Andreas,

This is what I use to save information about the image. I redefine the png command.

from pymol import cmd
import os
import re
import string
import selector

def __init__(self):
        cmd.extend('png',mypng)

def mypng(fname, quiet=1):
        r = 1
        format = 'vew'
        cmd.png(fname, quiet)

        if re.search("\.png$",fname):
         fname = re.sub("\.png$","",fname)
        fname = fname + ".vew"
        fname = os.path.expanduser(fname)
        fname = os.path.expandvars(fname)
        f=open(fname,"w")
        f.write("#View matrix for " + fname + "\n")
        st = cmd.get_view(output=3)
        f.write(st)
        f.close()
        return r

cmd.extend('png',mypng)

This command will use the name that you specify for the png file to also output all of the view matrix to a file that is saved with the .vew extension. The png file is saved as usual. This idea could be expanded to save other things to the meta file (object information).

-Mark

Mark A. Saper, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biological Chemistry
Biophysics Research Division, University of Michigan
Chemistry Building Room 3040
930 N University Ave
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1055 U.S.A.

sa...@umich.edu        (734) 764-3353        fax (734) 764-3323