For some reason or other it blows up at "import pymol" in __init__.py.
Or maybe I'm using IDLE wrong?  Anyway,  after observing that all
pymol.bat did was:

"c:\progs\python25\python.exe"
"c:\progs\python25\lib\site-packages\pymol\__init__.py" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
%6 %7 %8 %9

I tried:

  run -> programs -> python -> idle

Then used the path browser to find the __init__.py file above,
Then used the debugger to step along until it messed up, which took
place at line 157, which is the last line of this section

        if try_again:
            try:
                sys.exc_clear()

sys.path.insert(0,os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(__file__)))
            except:
                pass
            import pymol

Any ideas?  The files on the linux system here:

 /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pymol

seem to be 1:1 with the ones on the Windows system here:

 /c/progs/python25/lib/site-packages/pymol

That is, same number of files, and the names are all the same
except .so on linux became .pyd on Windows.

I also tried just loading __init__.py in idle then running it without
the debugger.  That does this instead:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\progs\Python25\lib\site-packages\pymol\__init__.py", line
167, in <module>
    import pymol
  File "C:\progs\Python25\lib\site-packages\pymol\__init__.py", line
396, in <module>
    import _cmd

Which is a similar sort of message, albeit with a different line number.
This one looks like pymol won't import because _cmd wouldn't import,
because it couldn't be found.  But there is a _cmd.pyd (as there is
a _cmd.so on linux), yet it isn't found for some reason.  The latter
is a lot bigger though, at 11.1Mb whereas the former is only 2.0 Mb.

I tried copying _cmd.pyd to the python DLLs directory, but that didn't
help.

Any ideas?  So close, and yet, so far...

Thanks,

David Mathog
mat...@caltech.edu