Hi Warren,

> MacPyMOL has always had problems running off of a remote NFS drive --
> we've never been able to figure out why, but it is clearly something to
> do with the magic behind Apple's application bundles, since ordinary X11
> builds run just fine.

Interesting.  We've been using it installed on an NFS volume for several
years now, and searching our ticket database didn't find any PyMOL issues
that looked related to the network volume.  That said, I have definitely
seen oddities on Macs with our set up, although I suspect some of that is
caused by the case-sensitivity issue more than anything else.

> The workaround is to copy the MacPyMOL bundle onto a local drive (/tmp?)
> before running it.  Can you have your user try that?

I tried this, but got the same error.

 $ /tmp/test/PyMOLX11Hybrid.app/Contents/MacOS/MacPyMOL -qc
_RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to the
WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.

-ben

--
Ben Eisenbraun
Structural Biology Grid                           Harvard Medical School